Simple Chicken Teriyaki & Eggs
This is a simple dish that takes hardly any preparation. My mom used to make it for us if she didn't have time to prepare anything else; I would eat this at least once a week in college. That proves this dish fits into a busy schedule!
Ingredients:
Yoshida's Gourmet Teriyaki Sauce (get it at Costco!)
Eggs (I use 7-8 so I'll have leftovers*)
Chicken (I normally use either bone-in chicken thighs or wings, breast meat tends to dry out)
And that's it! I normally saute broccoli or other greens on the side for a more balanced meal.
Directions:
Hard boil eggs. While eggs are boiling, in another pot, bring to boil enough Yoshida's sauce and water to cover all the chicken you plan to cook. The ratio I normally use is 2 cups teriyaki sauce to 3/4 cup water... you can always taste test and add more water or more sauce until the strength of the mixture is to your liking. Remember that some of the water will boil off. When the mixture is boiling, add your chicken**. Boil for about 30 minutes. I like my chicken to fall off the bone, so I leave the chicken boiling for 45 minutes to an hour. You really only need to boil it until the meat is cooked, so boil time is up to your preference. Add eggs to teriyaki mixture for about 15 minutes.
And there you have it, a lazy man's teriyaki chicken and eggs.
*Note: I place my leftover teriyaki eggs in the fridge and eat them cold the next day. I like them better as leftovers because they've had time to marinate all the way through to the yolk (even though they're no longer in the marinade sauce).
**Tip: I like to boil the chicken in a separate pot of water for about 10 minutes prior to adding it to the teriyaki sauce. You'll boil off a large amount of chicken fat/oil and any blood from the bones.
3 Comments:
I wonder if this can be done really fast with a pressure cooker - like 15 minutes? Anyone with experience in that area? Ok. Peace out.
Uncle (who lives with us) cooks this once a week for my girls to eat. They love it!! Only, we no longer use the teriyaki sauce from Costco. He just uses soy sauce and sugar, maybe a bit of water, but that's it!!
I use soy sauce, sugar, and water too when I run out of Yoshida's. I wonder if it's cheaper that way? I think Yoshida's is only $7-8 for 2 big jugs anyway.
Post a Comment
<< Home